Join us for a Month of Action for Mining Justice with the Canadian Network on Corporate Accountability!
Although an ombudsperson for the extractive sector was not announced in the 2017 federal budget, we are not giving up! We have been told in recent meetings with senior government officials that the government still intends to create an ombudsperson. This is encouraging, but we need to hold them to their word! Join us in creating a groundswell of support that decision-makers won’t be able to ignore.
1. To help you prepare for the Month of Action in May, the CNCA is offering a webinar on April 18th at 8pm EST. This webinar will offer training on how to organize a public action. It will be recorded for later viewing, but participating is encouraged!! Register here
2. Help us kick of the Month of Action by joining our Thunderclap before May 2!
We encourage you to sign up TODAY (via twitter, Facebook or Tumblr) and to share the link (https://www.thunderclap.it/
Don’t use social media? No problem. Just send a letter to your MP urging her/him to express their support for an ombudsperson to Minister Champagne and asking for a response. (Find your MPs contact info here).
Now mark your calendar and take a stand for Mining Justice this May:
1st week of May:
- Watch the May 4 webinar (link) to get prepared for our Month of Action. If you haven’t already, call your MPs office to book your MP meeting the last week of May (often a month’s notice is required)!
2nd week of May:
- Write a letter or send a tweet to Minister Champagne (@FP_Champagne). Draft your own or use our sample tweets / sample letter (#open4justice)
3rd week of May:
- Participate in a public action. Actions are already being organized in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.
- If you don’t live in a city where public actions are being organized, don’t despair. You can help us get the word out by submitting a letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining why you are concerned about mining justice. Some guidance is here
- Need ideas? Watch a Public action webinar by CNCA member organization MISN (click here for the powerpoint to the webinar)
4th week of May:
- MPs are in their home ridings this week! To wrap up the month of action, meet your MP in his or her office, or give her/him a phone call. Don’t forget to call your MPs office TODAY to book your meeting. (Find your MPs contact info here).