It’s been 10 months since the Government of Canada announced that it would create an ombudsperson. Communities negatively affected by Canadian mining companies around the world are still waiting.
Join us this November in calling on the Government of Canada to meaningfully and urgently implement its commitments by naming an independent ombudsperson with the mandate and tools to conduct independent investigations and to make Canada #open4justice for impacted communities and workers.
Help us kick off the action on social media:
- Tweet or post on Facebook asking: Where is the Ombudsperson?
- Sample message: Communities negatively affected by Canadian mining companies around the world have been waiting 10 months since the #ombuds with #power2investigate was announced. When will Canada be #open4justice? @JustinTrudeau @jimcarr_wpg. More info: https://goo.gl/1dQahC
- Share messages on social media using the hashtags: #Open4Justice, #Ombuds, #Power2Investigate, and #WhereistheOmbuds?
Contact your Member of Parliament:
Find your MP’s contact info here.
- Ask them: Where is the ombudsperson?
- Remind them that an effective ombudsperson is:
- Has the tools and mandate to independently investigate, including the power to compel documents and compel witnesses AND
- Reports publicly on its findings and recommendations, including for remedy, harm prevention, and reforms
- Ask them: Will they take a stand by doing one or more of the following?:
- Publicly support the immediate establishment of an effective ombudsperson with the power to investigate
- Ask a question in the House of Commons
- Raise this with Minister Carr and call on him to immediately name an ombudsperson and make sure the ombudsperson has the necessary powers