During his recent visit to Canada, Franklin Valenzuela from the Mataquescuintla, Jalapa youth organization JODVID (Youth Organized in Defense of Life) spoke out about the negative impacts of Tahoe Resources in San Rafael las Flores. The Canadian-US company has ignored community consultations rejecting these projects and has repressed resistance through criminalization and militarization. Community members opposed to mining in the area have also faced violent attacks.
Take action to ensure that the Liberal government holds mining companies like Tahoe accountable! The Liberal government is expected to create an extractive sector Ombudsperson in February. In order to ensure that this isn’t another watered down office that will enable Canadian companies to continue to operate with impunity internationally, we ask you to take the following actions to demand real change.
1. Write to your MP and the Minister of International Trade
Tell them Canada needs an independent, effective ombudsperson office to oversee Canadian mining, oil and gas projects abroad.
Here’s a link to send a message right away to International Trade Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne.
Your member of Parliament also needs to hear from you. A few tips for communicating with your MP:
- You can find his/her contact info here, and check the parliamentary report card to see if your MP or his/her party has supported previous mining justice bills.
- Some ideas of key points to mention can be found in the model message to Minister Champagne, but a personalized letter explaining why the issue’s important to you will have the most impact.
- Be sure to ask your MP to
– raise this issue with Minister Champagne and ask that he champion the CNCA’s model ombudsperson legislation;
– get back to you with a response after speaking to the minister.
- CNCA can help answer any questions or give a briefing to your MP; contact Emily at email@example.com.
- Once you’ve contacted your MP, write to let us know about it!
2. Tell the world
Share the message you’ve sent and a link to this website with everyone you know who values justice, transparency and accountability.