The Rabinal Community Legal Clinic is an organization that is working to bring to justice perpetrators of violence related to Guatemala’s internal armed conflict. This is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge and understanding working with a team of primarily indigenous Maya Achi lawyers. They are currently looking for someone to volunteer with the following skills:
1. Someone who can speak and write in Spanish
2. Lawyers or law (or related field) students who have knowledge and experience in cases related to the International Human Rights System: the Inter American Human Rights Commission and the Inter American Court on Human Rights. Must be willing to work on cases being argued at this level.
3. Someone with social sensibility and capacity to adapt to rural Guatemala conditions.
4. Someone who is able and willing to work with the legal clinic full time for a duration of six months (shorter periods of time may also be a possibility).
5. Someone who is willing to work on treaties and conventions ratified by Guatemala, applied in the Inter American Human Rights System as well as research based on jurisprudence of the Inter American Human Rights Court and other international courts.
6. Willingness to work as part of a team.
If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering with the Rabinal Legal Clinic, please contact btsguatemala(at)gmail.com